September 16, 2011

Fight or Flight


- Excerpt of a letter from Cate to her lover

The majority of the time I know what I do. Run. More often than not, I end up as road kill, which is interesting since, when I careen down the road, I will swerve before I do harm and invariably hurt myself in the process. Sometimes people run over you by accident. Sometimes they pull you out of the way, tsk over your broken self, get in your car that you busted your ass over and drive away to show off their shiny new ride.You did that to me.

So here I am, splattered all over the road, picking myself up and wondering if it is worth it as I watch the tail lights of my shiny ride become distant points of light that are slipping away. You have two choices - take a stand and take it back or walk away. Either way, you lose. Beware the taker disguised as a giver. They slice you to bits and are everywhere - at home, at work, at play, at the corner store.

It isn't about you; it's about me and my not-so-temporary insanity. This is my world, my small corner in an otherwise overwhelming community of people, my small voice whispering in the midst of the bigger, badder voices and if I want to rant, I'll rant. I have nowhere else to do it. Will I regret this - maybe. Will I take it back - quite possibly. Or not. Maybe, if I come to my senses. What are the odds...

Take a stand. Fight for what is yours or turn the fuck around, shut the fuck up and let it go. But don't come crying with wringing hands because you let go of something that mattered. Isn't that what you said?

You cast a shadow that is larger than life and I will never be able to step out from behind it. My broken heart is letting you go, my trembling hands are opening and setting you free. You carry a piece of my soul; I will diminish and fade. Your light doesn't reach me anymore and you don't reach out; you just take what I have left and move on.

Remember you are where you are because of me and what I gave you - what you took so freely - my love and my life. And know that as I weaken and wither, what you took will eat away at your black soul. That is my only consolation.

In Perfect Harmony

In June of 2007 I posted my first chapter of Dark December. Since that time, the story has evolved and changed in part through a collaboration that developed and lasted over 4 years. During this time a friendship was forged. Thank you Beth, for unwavering friendship, support, and generosity over these last 4+ years. It has been a journey I will never forget.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."

In dreams, the sun sets in our eyes
In dreams, we'll never be apart
In dreams, I'll promise you'll never be alone
How much I wish your voice could send me home